In a previous post, I listed my picks for the top small business blogs. But as the economy continues to sputter along and the credit markets remain tight (especially for small businesses), I wanted to highlight those blogs that are specifically targeted to those small and home-based business owners committed to bootstrapping- those who seek to avoid outside financing, while focusing on how they can use their available resources creatively and efficiently.
The following business blogs offer a vast collection of techniques, advice, and knowledge on cost-cutting, raising capital, creative marketing, and efficient operations:
1. SOHO Tools, News & Technology. This blog hosted by Wendy Piersall offers a a collection of ideas, business book reviews, product reviews, technology tips, coupons, and freebies to help the aspiring entrepreneur build and run a business on a shoestring budget.
2. The Entrepreneurial Mind. Hosted by Jeff Cornwall, director of the Center for Entrepreneurship at Nashville’s Belmont University, this blog discusses various topics in entrepreneurism such as, Bootstrapping, Global Entrepreneurship, and Learning from Failure.
3. Toilet Paper Entrepreneur. Mike Michalowicz offers a “get real” approach to starting and running a new business with a collection of helpful tips and resources.
4. Duct Tape Marketing. Hosted by John Jantsch the founder of Duct Tape Marketing, this site focuses on marketing techniques and methodology for small businesses operating on a shoe string. The blog contains insightful articles and commentary by several small business marketing gurus.
5. Neville’s Financial Blog. Follow Neville Medhora as he documents his business goals, strives to increase his net worth, and even conducts “experiments.”
6. The Simple Dollar. The Simple Dollar is an insightful personal finance blog offering advice on managing debt and living cheaper.
7. Productivity501. This site offers an abundance of information and tips and help people increase their personal productivity.
8. Free Money Finance. This comprehensive personal finance blog offers information and advice, commentary, news, resources, tips, and tricks.
9. Wise Bread. Wise Bread is a valuable forum for personal finance including tons of advice on frugal living, consumer deals, as well as a section dedicated to small businesses.
10. How to Change the World. Guy Kawasaki, co-founder of Alltop, offers on practical tips on technology, marketing, and innovation.
11. Vest Pocket Consultant. Blogger Rosalind Resnick offers her expertise and insight in the areas of business planning, finance, and marketing to start-ups and growing small businesses.
12. College Startup. This blog offers advice for entrepreneurially-inclined college students trying to make money while they study.
13. FiveCentNickel. A clear, and highly informative blog about personal finance and general money matters.
14. Mint Life. This blog offers a lot of useful information on personal finance tips, trends, and news.
15. I Will Teach You to be Rich. Ramit Sethi offers advice and tips for saving, investing and negotiating as well as how to live a richer, happier life.
16. Practical Ecommerce. This site offers blogs and articles on a variety of topics affecting online merchants.
17. Gulliver. Gulliver is a valuable source of business travel news, service reviews, and thoughtful discussion
18. Seth Godin’s Blog. This blog written by marketing expert, author, and entrepreneur Seth Godin, is in itself a lesson in branding and image development. It will challenge the way you think about marketing yourself or your business.
19. Small Business Growth Strategies. Blog Hosted by Stephanie Chandler provides thoughtful commentary, advice, tips, and news related to running and growing a small business.
20. The Frugal Entrepreneur. This blog, by Adam Gottlieb, offers a wealth of information, tips, and resources to help the cash-strapped small and home-based business owner. Be sure to also check out Adam’s collection of essential free business forms and templates.